What is it?
w|respect is a new specialist LGBTIQ+ family violence initiative funded by the Victorian government in 2017.
Who is it for?
- LGBTIQ+ people who are, may be, or at risk of experiencing family violence or intimate partner violence and;
- LGBTIQ+ people who are, think they may be, or at risk of using violence against a family member/s or partner.
What does it look like?
w|respect offers the following services:
- counselling, case management and recovery programs for LGBTIQ+ victim/survivors of family violence and;
- programs for LGBTIQ+ people using violence with the goal that they stop using violence and abuse.
- referrals to and support accessing appropriate local services.
When and Where?
A w|respect staff member will connect you with the closest specialised family violence service. Those in metropolitan Melbourne will be put in direct contact with w|respect services. Individuals and families in regional and rural areas where w|respect services may not be easily accessible will be linked in to their nearest LGBTIQ+ inclusive specialist service.
How do I make an appointment?
LGBTIQ+, their family or friends, who are affected by family violence can contact w|respect directly on 1800 542 847 during business hours, Monday – Friday.
After hours counselling is available on Wednesday, between 5pm and 11pm, and on Saturday and Sunday, between 10am and 10pm.
Services working with LGBTIQ+ communities, their families or friends who are affected by family violence can refer people for Intake and Referral for support via 1800 542 847, or fax 03 9639 3363.